You may be asking yourself why you need to improve your soccer dribbling skills, you are in the right place to learn more about this topic.
If you are not a goalkeeper then learning to dribble is a must. If you want to be like Manuel Neuer, one of the best goalkeepers of all time, even if you are a goalkeeper you must learn how to dribble.
Especially if you want to be a midfielder or attacker you need to train your dribbling skills at least once a day in order to be efficient in a game and why not make the game more spectacular.
How to Improve Your Basic Dribbling Technique
Let’s cut to the chase and start learning some dribbling techniques in order to improve your overall soccer dribbling skills so you can play like a Pro.
- Perform gentle contact with the ball. The first thing you need to practice and train the most while learning dribbling is to use the right amount of power while moving with the ball. If you are dribbling in narrow areas you should make gentle contact with the ball in order not to lose control and make quick moves.
- Have the ball near to your feet. One of the most important things to master is how to run and dribble with the ball close to your feet. This is important because this way you cut in half the time you need to make a pass or to shoot into the net.
- Use the leading edge of the foot to dribble galloping. There are a lot of fast players that when it’s needed to run fast with the ball fail to do that because of the little training. On narrow spaces, it is best to use the techniques that we talked about but if you have a big open space before you and you just want to move faster forward you should try this technique instead. You need to sprint as fast as you can while touching a little harder the ball with the outside part of your foot.
- Keep the ball in the lower edge of your external vision. If you master not to look too much at the ball while developing dribbling skills then you have a little to learn. This difficult technique requires a lot of training so you can be comfortable moving with the ball while looking for any opening from your teammates.
- Switch the pace. This is maybe the most important thing for you to keep in mind in a real match. You need to be able to change your rhythm every time it is required. For example, when you are running fast and a defender shows before you, you must be able to slow the pace so you can see more clearly opening and ways on how to surpass him.
How to Practice Dribbling
Now that we have learned what to do to dribble better, we are going to learn what to do to get better at it. The practice is the most important aspect of improving yourself on the pitch. You should reschedule your training program to make space for dribbling practice at least 4 times a week.
- Exercise dribbling in a field. To improve your dribbling skills in soccer you will need to find an open space, even better a soccer field. You have to run with the ball using gentle touches and change paces while dribbling.
- Practice speed dribbling. In order to be able to progress fast from one side of the field to the other, you must practice speed dribbling. To gain speed you need to move the ball a lot forward and touch it every six to nine steps.
- Dribble through cones with one foot. When learning to be a great dribbler, cones will be your best friend and your favourite teammate. At first, you will need to learn to dribble through the cones with one foot. While controlling your balance with the weaker foot, you shouldn’t lose not for one moment the control of the ball with the stronger foot. If you keep practicing this technique day by day you will see improvements while you will be able to run even faster between the cones.
- Practice a crossover drill through cones with both feet. After you master the one-foot dribbling you should set the bar a little higher. Now you have to use both feet to dribble the ball between the cones. In the beginning, go slower just to get used to both feet controlling the ball and then gradually start to increase the speed but always keeping in mind to do these exercises without errors.
- Practice roll-inside drills. To become a skillful dribbler this technique is more than necessary. You need to move inside and outside of the cones while controlling the ball with the bottom of your foot rolling it with every movement.
Why Black Eagles Academy?
Black Eagles Academy offers a wide range of innovative, state of the art programs that meet all interests and playing skills/abilities of all players and teams. We focus on helping our players to achieve their long and short term goals soccer wise. We train our players to understand what it takes to be a professional soccer player and how they could be the future of soccer.
Black Eagles build a professional environment with UEFA A and UEFA B licensed coaches with years of professional European experience in soccer. At Black Eagles the European soccer standards make the standards.
If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact 1.437.996.5390